Sunday, February 08, 2009

Extruding -Possibilities with Clay

by Eleanor Hendriks

The second in a series of workshops for professional potters at Haliburton School for the Arts focussed on using the extruder to create new forms in clay. Led by Colleen O'Reilly, the group of us moved away from the round forms a potter's wheel creates into the world of tubes, hexagons and squares. You can see Colleen here with some of her exhuberant extruded garden art.

Unfortunately, the photos I took during the workshop were miserable and won't be useful to any body...most were much like this one...

My clay results weren't much better... One of my projects was ticking along very well, I was really enjoying my octagonal jar, that is until I dropped the lid on the floor...

Irretrievably damaged, I'm afraid...
So, I come away from the workshop, not with a kiln full of work, but with an new enthusiasm for the not-so-round world of extrusions and another piece of equipment added to my wish list.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Does the jar really need a lid? It actually looks quite nice without one.

Chris Stone said...

Ouch! must have hurt to drop something you'd worked so much on!

but i agree. it looks nice without a lid.

Chrissy Ann Ceramics said...

too bad about the lid, but I think it would still make a lovely vase for spring flowers...

Linda Starr said...

I hate it when that happens, and it was such an unusual lid too. Extruders can be fun, one of these days I hope to have one too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails