Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kiln Magic

by Eleanor Hendriks

A group of fruit salt shakers with their glaze coats on waiting for the heat that will transform them...
...and how they look 24 hours and 2300 degrees farenheit later...
I just love how the subdued and dusty looking glaze coat becomes bright and jewel-like by the action of the heat. There were a few disappointments in the kiln too -a glaze ran and fused three really nice mugs to the shelf :( but these things sometimes happen in the world of pottery. I'm just glad this didn't happen to the special order mug that I also had in the kiln!

A few of the fruit salt shakers have already been listed in my Etsy shop.





2 comments:

Erin said...

One of the many cool and magical things about ceramics! I'm especially amused at glazing a pot in a green celadon that looks bright red in the bucket.
Those oranges remind me of candy Runts :)

gary rith said...

whoa. a potter's blog with the same color scheme as mine, a similar approach to blogging studio progress and fun and bright work???? are you my twin, my doppelganger? how did you find me? can I feature you at potsblog???
-Gary

Related Posts with Thumbnails