Friday, June 06, 2008

The Big Apple Project

by Eleanor Hendriks

I was the grateful recipient of a large order for my new apple bowls from a long time source of encouragement and support (Hi Mom!) The first apples I made were the result of a lot of experimenting and fiddling. This time I knew what to do and could streamline the process.


First I threw and then handshaped all the basic bowl shapes and let them stiffen overnight...


(Sorry, no picture -not quite sure what happened to it!)


Then I made all the leaves and stems using templates I made to speed things along...






Next, I attached all the stems and leaves onto the bowls...





Finally, these will dry again overnight and then I can finish the bottoms with a bit of trimming and my signature. I love how that array of similar bowls looks -each one slightly different but part of the same family.


If you would like to see how the finished bowls look you can check them out in my Etsy store... Just click on 'Apple Bowls' in the section list on the right hand side.

2 comments:

Patricia Griffin said...

Thanks so much for showing and explaining your process for streamlining. Had a chance to read some of your past posts. Great stuff! I recently opened a studio in downtown area of Cambria, Ca., and find it challenging to make enough to keep the gallery filled. It's wonderful to read about your experiences. Thanks!

gr said...

my goodness those are pretty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails