Friday, August 01, 2008

Blow Out at StudioElan...

by Eleanor Hendriks

No, it's not a furniture sale... I had a little disappointment in the studio, this is what happens when I rush a bisque firing with pieces that are too wet.. shards everwhere..

I blew the bottom right out of a piece that I was sure would become a favourite. I should never count clay chickens before they hatch -or assume that a new clay body will take the same abuse as the one I usually use.
Why was I in such a hurry to fire these pieces? I'm planning to use them in a Naked Raku workshop that I will be hosting at StudioElan tomorrow. Barbara Van Sickle is coming to share her raku techniques with some of the members of the Kawartha Potter's Guild. This is the first workshop I have ever hosted and I'm quite excited. I'm hoping to do more events like this. Of course, now I have to go and clean the studio... Why is it that I can be excited about cleaning the studio but hate the very thought of housework???


Meanwhile, shelves are filling with pottery for the fall and Christmas season. I love looking at boards full of freshly finished ware...
I'll be back soon with a report from the raku workshop -if I don't get so involved that I forget to take pictures!!!

5 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Ouch Eleanor. Sorry about the blow-out. Hope all goes well at the Naked Raku workshop. Looking forward to reading about it!

Ben Stark said...

I just hate when that happens! Good luck with the workshop, it sure sounds like fun!

Linda Starr said...

Would love to see photos from your raku workshop, hope you have time to take some. So sad about the blowouts.

Wow, what a list of clay bloggers you have compiled. I've added your blog to my roll and you're welcome to add mine to yours bluestarrgallery.blotspot.com/

gary rith said...

I know, it is rare, but sometimes a piece blows....

Cheryl Alena Kinzel said...

You remind me that I really need to get my butt into the studio and get making things. The Christmas season is coming. I hope you didn't lose too much in the blow-out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails